Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Jennifer: Why we rock :)

Hi there all,

I feel like Ubuntu is a pretty cool group of folks - just thought you should know.

Ubuntu just sent in over $200 which we raised by making solidarity bracelets and pins. People still wear them - myself included. I love mine. It was especially cool to be wearing when I was working with Haitian displaced persons in the Dominican over spring break.

Tonight Kristen gave a presentation about the creation of a safe zone on campus. She did a great job getting people talking - we filled a whole white board with ideas! I'm sooo happy it went so well and that so many people came. I think it's easy for LGBTQ alliances to get swept under the rug here at Bluffton but people were really respectful today and it is obvious that people want to change things on campus. The presentation was in Stutzman and it was way over 1/2 full.

Friday is "Cabaret for a Cause" - we're putting on a great show of student and faculty musical talent complete with a house band and refreshments. In case your interested in coming its 9 pm in Bobs and we're asking for a $3 donation but if you want to give more that's great. All the money is going for MCC.

Coming up in April Karla is in charge of a walk to raise money for the West Ohio food bank. Last year FCSA sponsored a walk and it was incredibly successful so I'm sure this will be no different. Ubuntu is planning on walking.

On the same day as the walk Shawn is helping raise money for Young Life through a pancake breakfast. He's got signs all around campus so I hope he gets a lot of support!

Plus like 1/2 of Riley Court is in Shining Through and they spent their entire spring break touring around and spreading God's love through song and worship.

I mean I don't mean to brag about us all...but I think we're all just really cool. I'm so glad I live here. I hear that Res. Life is trying to make the other theme housing group permanent after this year and I would love to see an "Ubu-Jr" next year. The problem is almost everyone is graduating and some of the rest of us will be gone next semester for a variety of reasons. No matter what happens I think this is one of the best Riley Courts ever...but I might be a little biased ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment